A Modern Date That Will Live in Infamy

A Modern Date That Will Live in Infamy

Nathan Neubauer, Contributor

This Sunday marks 21 years since the most deadly terrorist attack on U.S. soil. September 11, 2001 happened so long ago, that there is no longer an active student at Tuscarora High School that was alive for the tragedy. Students, however, still can find solace and importance from the events of the day. Francesca Martin (10) said, “September 11 was monumental in reshaping American security. It also was a big moment for the U.S. and the world. It brought the world closer together to fight against a common enemy.”. The time that has passed does not change the influence of which September 11 has on America and the world. 

A sunny Tuesday morning in Manhattan, New York and Arlington, Virginia turned into one of the scariest days in U.S. history. That morning people went to work, went to their morning meetings and drank their hot coffee. Little did they know, their lives would change forever. At 8:46 a.m., a large explosion rattled the streets of Manhattan. Everyone was frightened and confused. “What could produce such a commotion?” some asked. Their question was answered when they looked up and saw the tallest building in the city, the World Trade Center, completely ablaze. As the television stations cut off their morning news shows to broadcast the special news announcement, many watched another plane fly into 2 World Trade Centers at 9:02 a.m. At this point, people realized this event was no accident, this was an attack.

Now, 35 minutes after the second plane hit 2 W.T.C., an attack much closer to home occurred. At 9:37 a.m., a plane struck the defense capital of our country, the Pentagon. As the events started breaking on world news outlets, the towers fell. Millions watched in horror as innocent lives were lost. Thousands of people were dead within mere seconds.

The final event that brought fear into the eyes of the world that day has caused much scrutiny and confusion. Flight 93, which turned around and appeared to be headed for Washington D.C., crashed into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Some believe the passengers took down the terrorists and crashed the plane, others believe a military jet shot down the plane. We do not know the cause, all we know is that the heroism and sacrifice of the people on Flight 93 saved thousands of lives that could’ve been added to the death toll that day. 

September 11, 2001 is a modern day that will live in infamy. Some of us may not have been alive for the events that transpired, however the impacts this day will forever have on America are as large as the towers that once stood in the streets of Manhattan.