Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

Day in the Life of Ms. Herrero

In our school we have over 200 staff members who have many different jobs. There are math teachers, English teachers, foreign language teachers, sports coaches, and lunch staff and custodians. Students don’t realize how difficult it is to be a teacher or staff member at a high school – having to deal with moody teenagers for 6 hours, 5 days a week. As I was curious to know what staff members go through, I decided to follow a staff member around for a day to see what their typical day is like. This week I followed one of your Foreign Language teachers Srta. Herrero, to see what her day was like! 

To start Srta. Herrero’s day, she wakes up to take care of her 3 dogs: Amando who is a chihuahua, Precious who is a rescue and Milton who is a large Great Pyrenese. Then she comes to school and teaches Spanish. Once she is home, she says: “I walk the dogs again, talk to friends like you guys [teenagers] do.” In the evening Srta. Herrero will cook herself a home-cooked meal for dinner then relaxes in her home. 

Srta. Herrero has been teaching for over 30 years. She came to Tuscarora in 2019 and has been here teaching Spanish classes since. Something many people don’t know about her is that she hasn’t only taught Spanish. Throughout the course of her career Srta. Herrero has taught special education, elementary school, and middle school, being a math and English teacher. Additionally, she has her own wellness business and was a Yoga Instructor prior to teaching in other countries. Srta. Herrero chose to be a Spanish teacher because of “the kids.” She grew up speaking Spanish as her primary language so she chose to become a Spanish teacher. Although, the one thing she said she does not like about being a teacher is “waking up early. I hate waking up early!”

Srta. Herrero loves working with the high schoolers in Frederick County, because everyone is so nice compared to when she worked in other states and counties. “Whenever you are sick or something happens people show up with food at your doorstep.” 

Furthermore, Srta. Herrero said that she enjoys learning from the students and what they go through or think about, etc. She finds it interesting how teenagers can come off as one characteristic but then actually be the complete opposite. “Students really can show they care for you. Whenever I went through rough patches with some of my family members passing, everyone supported me and helped me get through it.” Srta. Herrero really shows in her classes that she loves her students, even those who have graduated and tries to help them learn things outside of just Spanish.

Srta. Herrero wishes for students to “learn and not worry about grades. Grades are not everything.” In her classes she is constantly preaching that students should enjoy their life, travel to places they haven’t been before. Srta. Herrero is also preaching everyone to not stress and try to relax more. She believes that students should be focused on education but not always put so much pressure on themself  with academics, because then it will lead to burn out.

Srta. Herrero puts so much effort into helping students not only learn the grammar aspects of Spanish, but also its culture. She does this through discussing with the class about various topics, myths, legends, land, etc. She helps students succeed and add to their language skills. Hopefully, this may help us all appreciate how lucky THS is to have a foreign language teacher who is so dedicated to student success. Thank you Srta. Herrero for all you do for THS!     

Shutterstock (Shutterstock)

Stay tuned for a new Day in the life of ….