Empty Bowls Banquet

Megan Forte, Writer

The idea behind an Empty Bowls Banquet began 25 years ago in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. An art teacher hosted a staff lunch that served soup in ceramic bowls made by his students. He encouraged the faculty to make donations for the homeless, in addition to keep the empty bowl as a reminder of people experiencing hunger. This was the very first Empty Bowls Banquet, and it has spread to become a nationwide tradition. In Frederick County, most of the high schools host their own Empty Bowls Banquet. On Wednesday, May 11, Tuscarora hosted their annual Empty Bowls Banquet.ab6cdb8d-6a66-4387-a87a-99b0d62a4b53

Originally, the Empty Bowls Banquet was a dinner where attendees would pay to come in, and would receive either soup or some type of drink in a handmade ceramic bowl. The profit made from the night would go to church’s soup kitchens. Over time, the evening has evolved to be more focused on performances. It is now similar to an “Empty Bowls Concert”. Guests buy a ticket and are encouraged to bring a can of food that can be donated. Several different performances take place in the auditorium, and people attending still get to keep a ceramic bowl made my THS ceramic students.

d119cabb-5309-4c17-ac28-2549e97f1e39The performances in the auditorium were done primarily by choirs. However, the night began with a jazz quartet and singer playing in Main Street. The Titan Tempo Show Choir and the THS Concert Choir both performed on the Tuscarora stage. This was the last performance of the year for the Titan Tempo Show Choir. In addition to Tuscarora performances, choirs from other feeder pattern schools performed as well. Overall, it was a great night at Tuscarora that benefited a great cause.