Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

The Significance of Steamboat Willie

The eight minute short, “Steamboat Willie,” was originally released Nov. 18, 1928 and officially became public domain Jan. 1, 2024.

Source: Steamboat Willie

“Steamboat Willie” was the film that paved the way for Walt Disney’s success. In the 1920s cartoons were mainly silent, but “Steamboat Willie” successfully debuted the use of synchronized sound in animations along with with Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Pete. 

“Steamboat Wille” was not the first film to use sound in animations; however, it was the first to successfully use synchronized sound and that is what caught the attention of audience members. In reality, the first ever company to produce a cartoon with sound was Max Fleischer’s, Inkwell Studios. The goal was for the sound to be synchronized, but despite Fleischer’s attempts, the shorts only closely maintained harmony between image and sound. Inkwell Studios was unable to actually synchronize the sound and animation together, unlike “Steamboat Willie.” 

Majority of “Steamboat Willie’s” success and popularity stemmed from Disney’s success with the use of synchronized sound. After Mickey’s success, many other cartoon companies began to switch to synchronized sound, finally leaving behind the silent film era of animations. Those that didn’t switch to sound, such as Felix the Cat, quickly lost attention and popularity as people moved on to the new excitement.

“Steamboat Willie’s” success with sound allowed for Disney along with other companies to grow and develop into something great, with “Steamboat Willie” now being public domain many more will be inspired to create. New potential and opportunities await as anyone is now allowed to use for any of their ideas. In fact, a few movie producers have already announced plans for their own “Steamboat Willie” horror movies, such as Steven LaMorte and Jamie Bailey. 

After his continuous success, Disney stated, “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse.” That being said, now that the mouse is in the hands of the public, only time will tell just what other success and creations will be inspired by “Steamboat Willie.”

Source: Steamboat Willie