Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

Home Alone Movie Review

20th Century Studios

The 1990 Christmas box-office sensation, directed by Chris Columbus, has reached comedy hits through the years following the release. Being a year-round cinematic staple for the 25th of December has been the result of numerous different versions being directed onward.

“Home Alone” features megastar Macaulay Culkin as the primary focus of the comedic movie. It surrounds an extended family fleeing away to Paris for the holidays, leaving behind precocious nine-year-old boy, Kevin McCallister, due to the hectic vacation preparation. The impish little boy never  got along fondly with a lot of his family members, often resulting in verbal altercation. This made it an easier pill to swallow for Kevin to not go on the trip, which allowed him to create his own fun in the million dollar household. 

Further along the storyline, Kevin is met with some issues, with some being as simplistic as the fright of darkness, being scared of the basement or difficulty finding grocery items. But the biggest one out of them all, however, is McCallister being stalked and harassed by two crooks going by the names of Harry and Marv; Roles appointed to actors Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern.  

The film has portrayed two different themes: an eerie sense of humor and a wholesome sense of humor. Some may even express worries of falsifying the age ratings, being that the movie contains smoking, swearing and sexual implications. Being understanding of some mildly negative feedback, there’s a strong rebuttal in content. Given the year the film was released, there were less parental restrictions and less ‘emotional reactants.’ The discrepancies in the film are far more subtle and seamless than the average R-rated movie. It’s digestible, funny and ritualistic for the holiday season. 9.5/10 movie.