Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

A Classic: Charlie Brown Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas: A Christmas Classic

“Good grief!” 

Charlie Brown’s classic catchphrase. “A Charlie Brown Christmas” is one of the most classic and well-known Christmas specials. Released on Dec. 9, 1965, this animated special has become a must-watch for families everywhere. 

Almost everyone knows the story  for the small amount of those who don’t know the very popular story of “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” As a result of Charlie Brown’s struggle with understanding what the true meaning of Christmas is, he goes to Lucy’s psychiatric help stand for advice. Lucy suggests he direct the Christmas play. During this he’s sent out to get a tree, where he picks the most tiny and frail tree, and everyone laughs at him. Despite his hurt, the rest of the cast make it up to Charlie by decorating the tree and celebrating Christmas with him. 

The comedy and animation of the film help make it memorable, but one of the main appeals is the way it captures the true meaning of Christmas by following Charlie Brown as he searches for it. 

As the film progresses viewers are shown different views of Christmas, such as: Snoopy decorating his dog house for a chance to win money, his sister Sally’s long list of presents, Lucy’s view on holiday commercialism and Linus’ explanation of the religious fact of Christmas. 

A Charlie Brown Christmas

While it may not be the most dramatic and adventurous movie, its simplicity in the style and message is what attracts many. One senior who grew up watching the classic  stated, “It’s not my favorite special, it’s not in my top five, but I have a deep appreciation for it. I think it’s adorable and I watched it a lot growing up.” 

Overall, whether you enjoy “A Charlie Brown Christmas” or not, it remains one of the most well known and memorable Christmas classics throughout the years. I suggest if you’re feeling a little grinchy this holiday season that you take some time to sit down and watch to re-discover the true meaning of Christmas alongside Charlie Brown.