“The Metamorphosis” (1915) Review

I first read “The Metamorphosis” by Franz Kafka in a particularly hopeless state over the summer. I was amidst a several month long reading slump, with little to no sign of ever making it out. Which is why the extremely short 64-paged, 1915 classic novella stood out to me as the perfect book to reignite my beloved hobby; I was undoubtedly proven correct. 

“The Metamorphosis” tells the story of dead-end salesman Gregor Samsa who inexplicably awoke in his bed as a massive, beetle-like creature. Trapped in the bedroom of his family home, Samsa juggles the overwhelming stress of missing work, his family’s constant questioning as well as somehow managing to become accustomed to his absurd transformation. As the story progresses, Samsa gradually loses his humanity; with his mind becoming the insect his body possesses, ultimately resulting in his demise. 

There is nothing more to say other than I honestly loved this book. My enjoyment being the fact that it rekindled my love for reading. All this aside, “The Metamorphosis” is a confusing, almost unresolved mess; in the absolute best way. Finishing this book, I was left with a strong desire to know what exactly was the cause of Samsa’s unthought of condition. However, now that I’ve had a few solid months to reflect, I realize that a concise explanation could not have worked for “The Metamorphosis.” It is that specific sense of wonder and bewilderment that makes this book completely perfect. 

Born on July 3, 1883, Kafka spent the 40 years of his life writing over 48 novels and short stories in total. As described by the academic site Study, Kafka’s powerful writing was, “…the first of its kind,” even going as far as to say that his collections “influence[d] the world of literature as a whole.”

Arguably Kafka’s most well known work, “The Metamorphosis” is an insanely weird, confusing and absolutely fantastic read. Which is why for me, this book will always and forever be five out of five stars, through and through. 

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=591276386&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS1069US1086&q=the+metamorphosis&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3853di5KDAxU2E1kFHTyTC3kQ0pQJegQIDxAB&cshid=1702665835929251&biw=1470&bih=803&dpr=2&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=y3uThpW0uEJ0CM