Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

TikTok and news: a good app has it’s downsides

TikTok and news: a good app has its downsides

Tiktok can be super good for people that like news or just short videos to entertain themselves throughout the day. TikTok is free to anyone of any age, so anyone can go on the app and post whatever they want. Influencers like Sphear use TikTok to discuss and share what is happening in the world. 

TikTok can also be a bad thing though. It can lead to anyone thinking they can post news and gain a massive following from it. Someone could get a massive following for the littlest things as most influencers do now. Due to their following, a majority of the people that see that video, especially their fan base, will believe it whether it is true or not.

With TikTok, there are a lot of different ages that use the app. Ages 10-19 being 25% of users, 22.4% from ages 20-29, 21.7%  from ages 30-39, 20.3% from ages 40-49 and ages 50+ make up 11% of users, and from all of these people 83% of TikTok users have posted a video.

With 83% of TikTok users posting a video, that means maybe ⅓ or even half have posted something about news that is real or fake, yet they could have posted something really useful for people like life hacks or things for school.

TikTok, at the end of the day, is very entertaining and useful with news. It is a reliable source to some extent.

Mrs. Creter, a social studies teacher at Tuscarora High School, agrees that TikTok can be reliable but needs to be fact-checked.  On whether news is reliable on TikTok, Creter says: “Depends on the source and verify it is a good news source.”

Others say TikTok isn’t good for news at all. Kemoy Hewlett and Troy Brothers agreed that TikTok can be biased. Brothers says, “it is not good due to the media.” Hewlett mentions, “it can be bias and opinionated.”

People like seeing news on TikTok. Others find it entertaining and fun to know what is happening in the world. When some people see news, they make sure it is reliable and a good source before they believe anything.

View Comments (1)