Culinary Corner: Culture and Cuisines

Culinary Corner: Culture and Cuisines

Lauren Souder, Writer

Do you enjoy cooking, sampling, or learning about foods from different cultures?  Then Cultures and Cuisines is the class for you.  In this class, you will learn about food from many different views.  “Students learn about food from a cultural, economic, geographic, and historic perspective,” says Ms. Martin.  “I select cooking labs to teach different cooking concepts, methods, and to introduce students to different ingredients and procedures.”

Of course students get to cook as well as learn about food.  Students split into groups for the cooking labs.  The course starts with cooking only about once a week, but students prepare food more often later on.  In this class, you can learn how to make breads, soups, main dishes, and deserts.  Ms. Martin said that her favorite dishes are the chicken enchilada soup, Asian pot stickers, and hot apple dumplings with ice cream.  While many of the recipes used in this class stay the same, some switch up to give students a wider range of cooking skills.  This Thursday Ms. Martin’s 3rd block class cooked in class for the first time, making zucchini bread and cinnamon and nutmeg butter.  “And of course we eat what we cook.”

So if cooking and eating foods from different cultures sounds like fun, Cultures and Cuisines is the class for you.  Remember it this January when you are signing up for classes.