Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

University of Maryland field hockey gets beat 1-0 in double overtime

On Nov. 5, Maryland field hockey Terps lost double overtime battle 1-0 against Northwestern Wildcats in the Big Ten Tournament Championship held at Phyllis Ocker Field in Ann Arbor, MI.

In the last 2:21 of the grueling contest, Northwestern freshman Olivia Bent-Cole scored the winning goal, earning her team the title of overall champions of the Big Ten Conference.

Maryland executed amazing defense as they prevented countless goals during the 17 corners against them. Maryland goalie and freshman Alyssa Klebasko attained nine saves, making it her second-most number of saves in one game.

Key players for Maryland include defenders Rayne Wright and Josie Hollamon, as well as forward Hope Rose who had the first shot in overtime. Despite being one of Maryland’s strongest attackers, Rose unfortunately was escorted out of the game due to an injury just minutes before Northwestern’s game-winning goal.

The Terps, ranked fifth in the nation, opposed number-one-ranked Wildcats five days before the championship on Oct. 27; they were beaten 5-1.

Led by head coach Missy Meharg, Maryland have retained a 16-5 record in their 2023 season. “There’s no excuses, we lost to a great team,” Meharg told Testudo Times following the Nov. 5 game.

Although the championship resulted in a loss for the Terps, their field hockey season continues on. Maryland faces Old Dominion University on Nov. 10 in the NCAA Tournament, held at the Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex in College Park, MD.

https://www.testudotimes.com/2023/11/5/23947639/maryland-field-hockey-drops-big-ten-championship-game-to-northwestern-1-0-in-double-overtime