Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

Justin Banks: On The Track to Greatness

Learn about how trying something new has greatly benefited the athlete
Justin Banks
Justin Banks

Tuscarora High School has had a very strong track program for many years. The team is  filled with countless talented  athletes, but there are always the standout athletes that are quick to grab your attention with their impressive times and rapid growth.

Justin Banks, senior at Tuscarora High School, holds the record for the fastest mile and the fastest 5k in all of Tuscarora history.  He recently competed at New Balance Nationals in the 1600 SMR along with Cameron Ellis, Mory Camara, and Kamsi Obuekwe winning their heat. If that’s not impressive enough, he also did all of this in just his first year of running.

It seems as though Banks was born to be a runner, however, it wasn’t until his Junior year that Banks would enter the track scene. From about six years old to his sophomore year, Banks lived on the baseball field.  “I was built on that sport, and it was a part of who I was, and still am,” said Banks. 

As far as he knew, his junior year would involve him playing in another great  baseball season; that  was until the boys head track coach, Brandon Churhan, approached him. “We were doing a mile workout for baseball, and he happened to see us doing it. I came in first and he liked my form and called me over and said I should do indoor. I was skeptical, but figured I should do it to stay in shape for baseball in the upcoming spring, at the time I still wanted to do baseball.”

Banks would go on to join the Tuscarora boys indoor track team that year. Banks played the center fielder position in baseball where you have to be pretty fast. As a result, he came into track with the belief that he was a short distance sprinter.  As the season progressed his impressive times proved that distance was his calling. When the indoor season came to an end, he realized that if he wanted to compete in the outdoor season he would have to leave baseball. 

“It was definitely hard leaving baseball.  From all the teammates I met and all the memories, it wasn’t easy. But the outcome of me leaving baseball and pursuing track/cross country was bigger than I ever could’ve imagined.” The attention Banks is getting from colleges as well as the  memories, new friends and great teammates leaves him very happy with his decision. His message to those that were in the same possession as him is “to definitely do what you feel is best for yourself. Don’t be afraid to go out and try something new, because that may very well be your calling, and in whatever you do, you have to work hard. Things don’t come easy, so if you want to get better, you have to push yourself.”

Banks credits a lot of his success and motivation to his teammates such as  Kamsi Obuekwe and Brendan Lane,  who always push him to be better and are awesome training partners. Banks says that his mom is also a huge motivator for him as well as where he got his athletic gifts from. “She was with me through the process of finding my way on track and always told me to keep going. She’s been with me through the ups and downs of my life and never left my side. “

The way Banks is so quick to give thanks to others for his success just goes to show his selfless and kind personality. The person he is makes it extremely easy to root for him. When asked how he would describe Banks, Coach Churhan (coach of the boys track and cross country team) was quick with an answer saying, “ Justin is a excellent young man, I had him in class during the covid years, he’s an outstanding student with a very strong work ethic on the track, on the cross country course, as well as in the classroom. As an athlete he’s one of the most remarkable athletes I’ve ever had the opportunity to coach.”

Though Banks makes it look so easy, he has his own challenges that he works to overcome.  “I struggle with pacing myself mentally. I always want to go out and win whatever race I run and PR each race but that just sometimes won’t happen and I have to realize that.”  Banks enjoys a challenge though, especially in races.  He believes  the better the competition is, the better you’ll become. A major challenge he faced occurred In December of 2020, when he  was diagnosed with myositis causing him to lose feeling in his legs. He was unable to walk for 2 months, and was in Johns Hopkins for most of that time. He was sent off to a rehabilitation center where he eventually was able to work his legs back and walk again. “That time was incredibly scary as I didn’t know if I’d ever be able to walk again. It definitely has stuck with me, and I use it as motivation now.”

At the rate he’s going, Banks doesn’t seem like he’ll be slowing down anytime soon. He is extremely proud of all his accomplishments but is definitely eager to accomplish more. His biggest future goal as a runner is to take part in the Olympics. “I tell myself constantly that work ethic is incredibly important, and if I have a goal, it’s totally achievable. It’s a huge goal, and I know that, but a goal is a goal, and I believe I can and will get there.” So as we wait to see Banks on the Olympic stage, you will most likely find him on the track blasting his favorite song “Wit it” by Gunna as he encourages his teammates and continues to work his way to greatness.

View Comments (2)