Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

Connor Bedard scores first NHL goal.

Getty+Images+
Getty Images

With the first overall pick in the 2023 NHL draft, the Chicago Blackhawks selected Connor Bedard. Bedard made his NHL debut on Oct.10 against his idol Sidney Crosby from the Pittsburgh Penguins. 

Bedard told NHL, “Of course, my childhood idol [Crosby] in the hockey world [..] is such a good, genuine guy, for me to kind of spend some time with [..] Just his play making and the way he controls the game in the offensive zone is pretty incredible. Just his complete game. He’s such a 200-foot player, so you can learn a lot from him.” 

Bedard’s debut against his idol started right as the puck dropped when Bedard was at center ice face to face with his idol Crosby, as Crosby showed the rookie dominance and won the face off to start Bedard’s rookie season. Bedard earned a point in the 2nd period when he assisted Ryan Donato to put the Blackhawks on the board to make it 2-1 Pittsburgh. The Blackhawks came back in the final period, scoring three goals to make it 4-2 to get the Blackhawks their first win of the season to advance and put their record at 1-0. 

While hoping to continue their win streak, the Blackhawks played the Boston Bruins on Oct.11. Unfortunately, the Blackhawks did not come on top, losing 3-1. With the Blackhawks’ only goal being from rookie Connor Bedard, it was his first ever NHL goal, earning him another point in just his second game.

Bedard is just the fourth No. 1 overall pick to post at least one point in each of his first two NHL games as an 18-year-old, and he is the first since Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon accomplished the feat in 2013. 

Just last year, the Chicago Blackhawks lost a franchise player to the New York Rangers. Patrick Kane was with the Blackhawks for 16 years, winning three Stanley Cups. Will Connor Bedard become a franchise player for the Blackhawks?