Harrison House
"My Angel's Got My Back"
Lulu Markoff, Creative Contributor • May 3, 2024

“My Angel’s Got My Back” There was a part of me that worried  That I couldn't hold myself together long enough  That my possible win would be bittersweet  That...

Stockton University
"A Good Book"
April 17, 2024

Marijuana Now Legal in Maryland!

Image from MocoShow.com.

What is Marijuana?

According to Dea.Gov, “Marijuana is a mind-altering (psychoactive) drug, produced by the Cannabis sativa plant…THC (delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol) is believed to be the main ingredient that produces the psychoactive effect.” Many people assume marijuana is an extremely harmful substance simply because it is a drug when in reality, marijuana can produce many therapeutic or calming effects on the mind and body. 

When was Marijuana legalized?

Starting July 1, 2023, marijuana officially became legal for anyone 21 and older to use recreationally. The legalization of marijuana was both exciting but also overwhelming for staff. CuraLeaf Dispensary in Frederick reported lines leading out of the doors! A store manager, D’nise Rebelle, reported a man setting up a chair outside hours before the dispensary even opened. This alone is proof that the legalization of medical marijuana has been long awaited for.

What will happen to those with previous Marijuana charges?

Lawmakers are considering expunging the marijuana-related charges of those who were convicted in the past. Of course, the expungement will not be given automatically. Those with charges related to cannabis are now eligible for expungement IF their sentence has been completed.

Is Maryland making a mistake?

Many residents seem to believe so. Like any drug, marijuana does have its fair share of risks such as lung damage, memory issues and problems with cognition. While these risks are very serious, the legalization still creates a safer environment for adults who choose to consume marijuana. People will still use cannabis regardless of legality, wouldn’t we prefer it to be regulated rather than used by precarious means or methods?