Sports Spotlight: Boys and Girls Basketball

Steven Asare, Sports Writer

This week’s sports spotlight is on the Tuscarora High School Basketball teams !

The boys currently stand at a record of (6-5) .Their head coach is Darryl Whiten who has been head coach of the team since 2015 and their captains are Trumaine Strickland, Jack Kelly and Anthony Davis. This week they face the Urbana High School basketball team, a team that they played once before this year. The last time they faced Urbana it was a tough game which ended in a 57-56 win over them. The team has had a lot of tough losses through the year but that doesn’t define this team. They are currently on a 4 game losing streak but before that they had been on a (6-2) stretch prior to the losing streak. The rest of their season will see the team facing off against familiar teams like T.J, and South Hagerstown and they’ll be facing teams looking for revenge like Frederick. Their season is at a decent mid-point but it could turn around soon because of the teams they’re facing that they’ve already beat.

While the girls record is 5-5 their head coach has faith in them. Coach thomas said “ Girls are really getting a lot better with each game and down the stretch teams won’t want to play us”.The teams captains are Makaala Ambush, Chandler Stewart and Shannon Kraham. Their next game is against Urbana Highs Girl basketball team. They’ve played them before this season and lost 53-40 “ we plan on winning we’ve came a long way since we last played them”. The team seems to be heavily impacted by the efforts of Makaala Ambush who was recently in the paper for making a game winning play against Linganore.

Both of our High-school basketball teams are doing well and are both optimistic that there seasons can end well. They have similar records and both face teams they’ve faced before, hopefully they can both earn home court for the playoffs.