Biomed Takes on the USA Science and Engineering Festival

Mia Egerman, Editor in Chief

Friday, April 6th, the Biomedical Innovations class went to Walter E. Washington Convention Center in D.C. for a sneak peek of the USA Science and Engineering Festival. The event was only open to a limited group; classes like Ms. Marcum’s, home schooled kids, and military families. It featured over 3,000 hands-on STEM activities and connected students to scientists and engineers with experience in the field. The Titans were very interested where “STEM Can Take [Them]” as they learned about coral restoration and more.

An occurrence once every two years, the Festival featured different sections. One designated for science, another for math, but a big one was the healthcare section; one of the most relevant sections for the Biomed class. They were able to learn from scientist and engineer’s about the new projects they’re working on and had the chance to ask questions. The NASA section especially enlightened the Titans, as well as the circuit building station. Beyond the activities made available at the sneak peek, there was free stuff galore. From pens and pencils, to stickers and light up ears, the students had heavy hands as they got back on the metro home bound.

“The Nation’s Largest Celebration of STEM” is only $5 a person. Although Ms. Marcum’s class hasn’t been in four years, she said it’s an easy trip to make that’s well worth the experience. The USA Science and Engineering [2-day] Festival is open to the public and offers limitless resources to browse. The sneak peek may only be available for classes, giving them an inside look on what goes on at the festival, but the final event is a great family outing or just a good reason to go to D.C. Keep an eye out for the next one and register when the time comes!