March Madness

Alec Fletcher, Writer

March is a crazy month for college basketball teams and for college basketball fans; it’s almost like a month of ‘madness’. 64 teams enter the tournament and what follows is a series of amazing upsets, buzzer beaters, and amazing Cinderella stories . Prior to the tournament college teams wait to hear their name called signifying their placement in this year’s tournament.

With many upsets already, such as Loyola Chicago defeating Miami, some could say the madness has only just begun. Every year an underrated team will surprise the nation by advancing deep into the tournament. These ‘bracket buster’ type teams make for incredible drama while aggravating the folks who play it safe with their picks by selecting only the top seeded teams. But for those who pick the underdog it allows many opportunities and maybe a chance at the most unrealistic thought of a perfect bracket.

The chances of this perfect bracket are believed as low as 1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808. So where do you start? Myself, I like to do my bracket fast and not think too much about it, allowing some upsets to occur with hopes that the teams I pick will advance through with unexpected wins. Speaking with other Titans, they said they like to pick randomly too, without putting much thought or looking at the statistical side of match-ups in the tournament.

To keep up with the tournament, stay tuned to all your local sports channels and stay online for the next two weeks. Best of luck to everyone who has selected teams in the tournament. Let the March Madness begin!!!