The Culture of Tuscarora High School

Mia Egerman, Editor in Chief

Since 2003, Tuscarora has been a unified community. At least that’s what the website says. The vision and mission of Titans is to be united as one, to create a culture, to have something that brings everyone together. The question then becomes if there ever was one to begin with.

If a culture is “what you see, feel, and hear when you walk in the building” according to Mr. Berry, then it is a very important force for Tuscarora. Mr. Berry says, “Our culture is no one symbol. It’s not artificial, it’s real.” He also said it goes past racial diversity, but includes the diversity of our interests, academics, and more that brings Titans together. Overall, the most important part of a culture for the community is to have that sense of togetherness. However, obviously that opinion varies from person to person. While some Titans feel connected to Tuscarora as a school, “not all Titans find it necessary to have something that unifies [them],” Junior Evan Way weighs in. Sophomore Prince Ayivon even argues, “There are too many independent groups for there to be a culture.” But if not within each individual, then where does the strengthening of ties begin?

Though some find it difficult to feel a connection to their peers, there are many different factors that go into becoming one. Both Mr. Motter and Mr. Knepper agree that there is not one recognizable culture among Tuscarora. Knepper attributes it to a distance issue. He says, “Our district is a lot more spread out [than other schools in Frederick].” Mr. Motter, on the other hand, believes the foundation for a culture was never stable to begin with. Each teacher may chalk it up to a different reason, but something that doesn’t waiver is the effect a culture would have on Tuscarora. Although “it’s more of a challenge to create culture, than to preserve it,” (Knepper) it’s no secret that a respect for academics and support for one another would certainly “build the morale in the building” (Dills).

Conclusively, a culture is crucial for not only the students and staff, but the community. From the rural areas, to the city of Frederick, everyone has something that they can learn from one another. With participation in school events and a strong work ethic inside the classroom, anything is possible. Mr. Knepper believes “when students are treating teachers like they have something special, and teachers are treating students like they’re the future,” that’s when something recognizable is created. Whether you experiment with a new club during the school day, or attend a production after hours that you wouldn’t usually watch, high school is the time to find yourself and build relationships. Once everyone comes together, a stronger culture can be built and the Titan legacy will follow.