15 Things to Do Over Winter Break

Mia Egerman, Editor in Chief

Winter break is approaching and it’s a common misconception that everyday will be filled with action packed activities like sledding and shopping the sales. We all may love having the time off to spend with friends and family, but don’t lie- it gets boring after Christmas ends and we still have a week off. Whether you’re drowning in homework you still need to catch up on, or snowed in by yourself, there are many different things to make the best of this winter break.

• Start a new Netflix series (I recommend How To Get Away With Murder if you’re into Law and thrill, or One Tree Hill if you have a little more time on your hands.)
  • Find the closest ski resort and rent a pair of skis, it’s cheaper than buying your own! Or go Snow Tubing which is basically like sledding but you get a ride back up!!!
  • Warm up your house with the aroma of chocolate chip cookies or gingerbread.
  • Create a new recipe. You’ll have days for preparation.  
  • Start your list of New Year’s resolutions. Then make a second list of what you’ll actually do.
  • Go on a road trip with your closest friends. Find cute cafes and bakeries on the way.
  • Clean out your closet… New Year, New Wardrobe!
  • Have a Spa Day complete with facemasks and body scrubs. You deserve it with the semester coming to an end.
  • Go to an outdoor skate rink! Or just go to Skate Frederick… same thing.
  • Practice an instrument, whether that be the saxophone for the upcoming winter jazz concert or the recorder you found at the bottom of your drawer from seventh grade.
  • Get together with some friends and have a photoshoot. Dress up, do some makeup, put on a nice pair of heels!
  • Visit a big city. Check out wanderu.com for cheap, local train and bus deals.
  • Volunteer at a soup kitchen or animal shelter. It’s getting cold out and not everyone is as fortunate this holiday season. Give a helping hand!
  • Catch up with an old friend. It’s a nice time to reminisce on that one winter break, in 2013, when you were snowed in with them and had to shovel the driveway all by yourselves.
  • Last, but definitely not least, spend some quality time with your family. Whether your siblings are finally home from college or your extended family is in town, family time is always nice around this time of year.