It (2017) Movie Review

Mia Egerman, Editor

The opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs expressed in this article are those of the author and do not represent the opinions, viewpoints, or beliefs of the Titan Times newspaper, Tuscarora High School or Frederick County Public Schools.

Spoiler Alert! The following article contains spoilers for the movie It. 

It: Chapter One opened in theaters on September 8. The supernatural horror film is based on Stephen King’s novel, TV series, and old time movie about seven children who get terrorized by an evil entity. It starts with one of the main character’s brothers facing Pennywise the Dancing Clown when he loses his sailboat in the storm drain. That episode sets the scene for the rest of the tale which follows a group of adolescents as they unravel the mystery of the evil clown’s presence in their small New England town.  

The story takes place in Maine in 1988 so there’s a lot of nostalgia which is one of the reasons for the film’s success. Ultimately the kids realize that in facing the evil clown entity, they must confront their own fears and overcome them. And in this sense it’s pretty typical Stephen King fare. 

Overall, I felt indifferent about the movie. I could really appreciate the comedic dialogue between characters Bill Denbrough, Richie Tozier, Eddie Kaspbrak, and Stanley Uris because it made for a light-hearted mood, while the plot created otherwise. However, many of the scenes were a bit too dramatic for me. If you like blood and guts, It is a must watch but even then, the effects were unrealistic and the dramatizations extreme. There was so much potential for horror in this film, but personally, I felt completely comfortable walking past storm drains and dark rooms prior to the movie and It didn’t really change that. The 2017 rendition may be a hit if you’re a fan of the classics, but I wouldn’t recommend if it presents no sentiment to you. All in all, It was an ok movie but nothing to get too worked up about and I personally could have waited for this one to come out on Netflix or some other streaming channel rather than paying full box office price. 

Source

“IT – Official Movie Site – In Theaters September 8, 2017.” IT – Official Movie Site – In Theaters September 8, 2017, itthemovie.com/.