The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw

Cecelia Zombro, Editor in Chief

The Turn of the Screw

This year’s fall play will leave you with goosebumps and chills. The Turn of the Screw is a horror novel written by Henry James in 1898, ever since then adaptations of the story have been created, whether that be movies, TV shows, books, or even plays. Tuscarora High School will be performing The Turn of the Screw adapted by James L. Seay who published the play in 1982. So, what is this play about? 

A new governess named Ann Wilson is hired to look over the children Flora and Miles who are under the custody of their uncle, the Earl of Bly. At Bly House, the governess has noticed ghostly figures around the estate and has come to believe that the children know who these ghosts are. Ann does not give up on her conquest to prove these apparitions not only exist, but so happen to be some of the staff from before her time at Bly. Miss Wilson believes she can save the children, but will she be condemned to insanity because of it?

Katie Moore, dance and theater instructor at Tuscarora, as well as the director of this year’s play gives her input on what makes this show so special… “I am excited because the past couple of years we’ve done comedies. Although they were totally appropriate for the time, especially after covid and making sure our audiences were excited and feeling some lighthearted humor, was really important. We are doing a thriller this year, which is more along the lines of a dramatic show and that gives our students an opportunity to really expand themselves as performers and take on a different challenge. This show is also very creepy and I personally am someone who loves shows like criminal minds and law and order SVU, so the idea of trying to figure out what’s going on before the end of the show is just appealing to me as a director.”

Next question Ms. Moore answered what she hopes the audience will get out of the performance. “Well, since it is a thriller, the actors will have done their jobs if the audience is feeling uneasy, the audience will probably have a lot of questions, they will be questioning many aspects of the show, and they will be trying to figure out what is the actual situation without giving too much away because obviously I want people to come see it. They will try to figure out, was it reality? Or was it all in Ann’s mind?”

Come see the show on October 27, 28 and 29 at 7 p.m!