Health Tip: Holiday Blues

Erin Schneider, Writer

Titans, the second semester is in full swing and it is time to focus on mental wellness going into the holiday season! The holidays are meant to be the happiest time of year, but it ends up being the most stressful season for a lot of people.

When “Holiday Depression” is typed into google, you will be shocked to know that there are 146,000,000 hits. Students, parents, and faculty all can suffer from what is known as the “holiday blues”. WEBMD discusses how expectations, stress, and lack of support can cause major heart ache during the Holiday season. Many people, even in our school, do not have family or friends to spend time with during the season. Not everyone can receive the same gift as their classmate, causing the feeling of disappointment. With all of the different types of stress that surrounds the holiday season, it can sometimes be hard to just relax and enjoy the time we have off from school.

Post Holiday Blues is also a concern. As we begin a new year, things can be difficult. Once the holidays end, we still have several dark, cold winter months to get through and getting back to the daily grind can be a real drag. But, there are some basic things you can do the try to help deal with the Holiday or Post-Holiday Blues:

1. Acknowledge your feelings: Lost of love ones can have a major impact on your wellness. Make sure you give yourself time to grief.
  2. Reach out if you are feeling lonely. People can have a much bigger impact on you than you think!
  3. Be realistic. The holidays do not always have to be perfect. Enjoy what you have and surround yourself with positive vibes. Accept change and be open to new traditions.
  4. Don’t let money get to your head. Head into the holiday season with a plan.
  5. Don’t abandon health habits! During the holidays, it is easy to lose track of your diet and sleep. Making sure you stick to health habits will leave you with a great feeling after they are over.
  6. Make time for yourself.
  7. Lastly, if you fall into a hole, do not be affraid to ask for help!

It is time to go into the season with JOY titans! One of the biggest topics discussed around holiday depression is suicide. Suicide is a sticky subject, and it is debated if sucides increase during the holiday season. Research shows that suicide actually decrease during the holiday season, but it is still important to support everyone to make sure it can be that way all year round! Happy Holiday!

Maryland Youth Crisis Hotline- 1-800-422-0009 

“Holiday Depression and Stress.” WebMD, WebMD, www.webmd.com/depression/holiday-depression-stress#1.

“Tips for Coping with Holiday Stress.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 16 Sept. 2017, www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20047544.