Student of the Week: Grace Knor

Lydia Kowalski, Freelance Contributor

Grace Knor, a junior, has a mile long list of extracurricular activities and awards to her name and now she can add Student of the Week to her list.  Mr. Zitrick and Ms. Kowalski nominated Grace for this award. Mr. Zitrick remarked, “Grace had an outstanding score on her last AP Psychology exam.  She always asks excellent questions that demonstrate positive classroom participation.” Ms. Kowalski nominated Grace because she won the school Poetry Out Loud competition, the regional level and even the Maryland State level of the competition.  She is headed on to the national Poetry Out Loud Competition at the end of April. Additionally Grace is involved in the swim team, she is training for a half marathon and even runs a camp for kids with anxiety over the summer. Grace even finds time to take part in the Local Love Club, NEHS, NHS, NMHS, SGA and has volunteered on service trips to Haiti and Belize.  She also volunteers at the Way Station with her service dog to help adults with disabilities.

Grace attributes her success to staying focused on what she wants for her long term goals more than what she wants in a moment.  She finds inspiration from Michelle Obama, Malala, and books focused on activism. She looks up to “anyone who defies the odds.” Grace plans to maintain her straight As and get into Brown University and then wants to go on to medical school.  On a less serious note, Grace enjoys reading, the show This is Us, and loves a cup of ice cream if it is loaded up with peanut butter and chocolate chunks.