Academic Spotlight: The Tiny Titans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Academic Spotlight: The Tiny Titans

Hathaikan Hanngon, Editor

Wouldn’t it be cool to work with kids during the school day? Well, you can in Tuscarora High School’s child development class. High school students get the chance to make lessons and teach a classroom full of adorable preschoolers. It is an ideal class to take if you want to pursue a career related to primary education, but is also for those who like working with kids in general. There are four groups who specialize in different activities for the kids. For instance, one group may teach the class and another will complete book work. However, it isn’t all about teaching the kids; you also have to learn about the psychological and social aspects of the children. One has to be willing to fully commit to the kids and take their education seriously.

Most people overlook the challenges present in child development, and the last word to describe this experience is easy. You have to possess the ability to multitask, whether that is paying attention to several preschoolers at once or making creative lesson plans. As expected, there are going to be kids who don’t want to listen or participate, but you’re always going to run into those problems. It is up to the students to resolve them in the most suitable manner. You also have to be prepared. Creating a lesson plan that ranges from various levels of difficulty to best benefit a multitude of the class is truly a challenge. There are always going to be kids who work more efficiently than others, and those who don’t. It is the high schoolers’ jobs to be prepared and compose plans that work for each individual Tiny Titan.

However, there are endless benefits and rewarding elements to working with the Tiny Titans. Nicole Schulok and Hailey Macananny, who have been taking the class for the majority of their high school careers, have shared that nothing is better than seeing the progression and accomplishments their students make throughout the year. In addition to being proud of the kids, the students get to form strong bonds with the Tiny Titans. Sometimes there are kids who come back. For example, this year there were six returning Tiny Titans, and the high schoolers were thrilled to say the least. The knowledge and unforgettable experiences gained from child development are a luxury to have at such a young age. You have a big influence on the preschoolers’ education and have the chance to change their lives for the better.

Working one on one with the Tiny Titans has also inspired many students to explore the field of education. If you’re interested in taking this class or becoming a teacher, here is some advice provided by high schoolers who have the most experience. You have to be patient with the kids. They are young and aren’t going to listen 100% of the time, but you are there to assist the Tiny Titans with their education and to give them the best experience possible. You also have to consider all of the kids, whether it ranges from their learning abilities or their social skills. Each preschooler is different and special in their own ways, and should be treated as such. Although, this is a fun class you are held accountable for the Tiny Titans and have to be a good role model.