Too Much Too Soon: SATs!?!?!?!?

Aubrey Sicat, Editor

SATs. What are they? Why do I have to take them? What score gets me into the college of my choice? How long is the test? How should I prepare for the test? These are the most frequent questions students ask about the test. The SAT is by far one of the most stressful things students worry about during their junior and senior years. Yes, some parts of the test may be difficult for students, but the point of it is to test you on your academic skills and see if you’re ready for college. But don’t worry, there is plenty of time to prepare yourself, and plenty of resources for you to use.

sat book

So, what exactly is the SAT? It is a standardized assessment that tests the academic knowledge of students in preparation for college. It usually lasts about four hours: 8:00 a.m-12:00 p.m. There are ten sections of the SAT; one 25 minute essay section, seven 25 minute sections, two 20 minute sections, and one ten minute section all of which involve math, reading, and writing. Although this seems long and tiring, you’re allowed five minute breaks after every two sections. Starting in 2016, the SAT with Essay will become an optional test and students will be able to choose taking the SAT Subject Test where you can choose certain subjects to be tested on, or the SAT where there is no essay, just nine sections of math, reading, and writing multiple choice questions. Average scores usually range between 1500-1800 out of the highest score of 2400.

Many people question whether or not they should study before taking the SATs for the first time. For me personally, I didn’t study, but in Mrs. Wahl’s opinion, you should study before taking them. I wanted to see what I was in for and study which areas I needed help most on afterwards. After I realized how hard and challenging the SATs were, I was able to find plenty of resources to help me prepare for the next one. Here are some of the resources Mrs. Wahl suggests to use for preparing yourself:

• konacademy.com
  • march2success.com
  • collegeboard.com
  • The Official SAT Study Guide book (can be purchased at Barnes and Noble)
  • Prep4SAT app (Very helpful!)

I really don’t recommend students stressing too much on this test! Relax, breathe, and answer what you know! It is not at all that bad, and don’t forget you can always take it again!