Tuscarora Titan Receives Peace Award

Genna Lambert, Writer

The Student Peace Award of Frederick County is an award given annually to students around the county to award and recognize them for their displays of leadership throughout the community and in their own school environment. 8 students and one group of students received Peace Awards this year. Among those students recognized for her great work was Ritchie Young, a senior here at Tuscarora High School. Ritchie has been involved in many extracurricular activities throughout the school and the community. She is most noteworthy for her participation in the Tuscarora Show Choir, where she has recently given the job of Student Director. This is a position that comes with many responsibilities in which she has shown herself to be an outstanding leader, mediator and problem solver. The Annual Peace Conference and Awards Ceremony was held on Saturday, April 16, 2016, where Ritchie, along with the other nominees, was presented with awards of a $100 check along with a $100 donation to a charity of their choice. Ritchie chose the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a charity built upon finding a cure for childhood cancer, as her charity. Tuscarora is very proud of our fellow Titan, Ritchie Young, for being a part of such a great cause, Congratulations Ritchie!