Going to Luray Caverns!

Hannah Mueller, Writer

Over the weekend, my family and I went to visit the naturally beautiful and astonishing Luray Caverns of West Virginia. Something I would very much recommend if you’re a nature lover, the caverns are ginormous and are truly spectacular to walk through; it’s something you’ll always remember, to say the least. The drive up there takes about two hours or less from Frederick and the overall price of tickets is $27 for adults, $23 for elders (62 and up), and $14 for children (6-12)- while it may be a tad pricey, it is definitely worth it. In addition, there is the garden maze and rope adventure park that’s less than $10, and by buying a ticket to the caverns, you also get a dollar off of both of these attractions. There is also two quaint museums, one consisting of early, classic cars and the other of toys throughout history- both are free! The whole area is a marvelous place for a family or friend weekend trip.

The caverns themselves are phenomenal; as stunning as the photos may be, it’s greater in person. Imagine this, you’re walking along the path, the occasional sound of water dripping from stalactites above you breaking the serene silence every now and then. Eyes are met with stunning rock formations, some giving the illusion of movement as water passes over them and others reminding you of trivial, yet sweet, things such as a little Christmas tree, a giant fluffy dog, or sepia-toned curtains. The soft orange and yellow light that illuminates them in the most delightful way possible, sending your eyes into an aesthetic heaven. The formations plentiful and fascinating, already purely beautiful without being reflected; yet, when passing the mirror lake, the perfect reflections only add to their already present beauty. Nonetheless, the cavern’s organ that plays darling melodies by striking certain stalactites or stalagmites. That’s what it’s like, the whole experience is simply breathtaking!

Though if caverns aren’t your thing, there is plenty more to do! As said before, you can try your hand at the garden maze- a topiary puzzle that one can truly get lost in. It’s a fun activity for both friends and family. Then there is the toy museum, or Toy Town Junction, with the opportunity to see collectibles and toys from the early 1900’s and up. Your little siblings will love it and your parents and grandparents may even recognize a few toys they once had! For those who love cars and history, the Car and Carriage Caravan museum awaits you. There are plenty of classic cars on display as well as carriages. For example, the 1892 Mercedes-Benz that’s only using one cylinder, five horsepower, and a water-powered engine. Or the 1925 Roll-Royce Silver Ghost, that’s owned by silent movie star Rudolph Valentino and painted to look as though it was made of alligator skin. And even with these three attractions, there’s still more options!

After going to Luray Caverns with my family, I would highly recommend going yourself. The caverns themselves are splendid and it makes for a great weekend trip with family or friends. Once the tour of the caverns is done, you can still spend a lot more time doing whatever activities you like- and with Luray Caverns having a restaurant, you can even have lunch there during your visit.  While the tickets may be more than you’re willing to spend on an outing, you won’t regret it. So whenever you’re looking for a small adventure, keep Luray Caverns in mind for a cool experience!

Sources:
http://luraycaverns.com/