Student Spotlight: Dylan Hurley

Student Spotlight: Dylan Hurley

Alexa Vandepoll, Editor in Chief

Dylan Hurley is a senior at Tuscarora High School who has an amazing story to tell. Many people who know Dylan, would describe him as smart. He’s gone above and beyond the average requirements of a high school students even though he’s had a great struggle in his life.

For as long as Dylan can remember, he has had a brain tumor called cavernous angoioma. He missed a lot of school because of it and has had two seizures. Dylan also used to be apart of sports team, but is no longer able to because of the seizures.

Someone who has to go through this at such a young age, you would think this would disable the young man in his academic abilities; but it’s arguable that it has done quite the opposite. Going into his freshman year at college, Dylan will have obtained roughly 30 college credits. He began taking upper level classes, starting his sophomore year with AP Government. He then began his journey of college level classes at Georgetown University the summer going into junior year. He also interned for a congressional campaign in 2014, he answered phone calls and counted votes along with many other tasks.

Dylan hopes to attend Georgetown in the fall and one day aspires to be a neurosurgeon. When asked why that was the particular profession he wanted to go into, he responded “I want to help children, like myself, with brain issues and help prevent any difficulties that they face.” Dylan is an admirable student and Tuscarora feels proud to call him one of our own.