Partnership for a Healthier America
School Stress
Addison Selby, Creative Writing Submission • June 7, 2024

I can’t even begin to describe how largely school has impacted my life. The place where my dreams are put to the test I’m forced to carry the heavy burden of stress Countless...

Adobe Stock
The Pledge
June 7, 2024
SWNS
When I Was a Kid
June 7, 2024

“Frankenstein” Book Review

Frankenstein Book Review

The devastating tale of Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel “Frankenstein” is a book that possesses the ability to linger on readers’ minds long after reading. A widely-known story which often seems childish to outsiders perfectly captures the complete anguish, misery and decline of knowledge-hungry scientist, Victor Frankenstein.

Beginning the book, readers are introduced to Frankenstein through a series of letters written by boat captain at sea, R. Walton, who Frankenstein gradually opens up to throughout the duration of the book. Frankenstein expresses his love for knowledge and technology, quickly making it apparent that there are no lines he will not cross in order to exceed his education. Thus birthed the idea of the infamous “monster,” Frankenstein’s creation. Ill with madness and consumed in his work, Frankenstein began to care less and less of his well being and more of the well being of his then-inanimate creation. Years of self-inflicted isolation at the hands of his work proved almost unnecessary as soon after the completion of his creation, Frankenstein was overcome with a wave of guilt and fear of what he’s done and wishes nothing more than to rid himself of it.

Published anonymously amidst the Romantic Period of the 1800s, Shelley took a leap of faith in challenging these trends with such a horrific, almost vulgar story. Of course with most risks during this time, “Frankenstein” was originally not taken well by the general public. According to the literature website Gale, “Initial critical reaction to Frankenstein was often unfavorable…” It wasn’t until the 20th century that the public, as well as critics, began to appreciate the bewitching crudity of “Frankenstein.”
Shelley’s power to encapsulate themes of guilt, greed and madness make the book, which is oftentimes difficult to read, connect with the mind and souls of anyone who gives it the much-deserved time of day. Feelings which seem extreme in the mind of Frankenstein are in today’s society especially not rare to witness; shown in the entirety of the modern person’s life being consumed by school, work, their phone or social media. By venturing into the thoughts and feelings of Victor Frankenstein, those who fall prey to overconsumption and addiction gain a valuable lesson on limiting your body and mind.

(Image: OpenTrolley Bookstore)

View Comments (1)