Making Strides for the Homeless

Making Strides for the Homeless

Vanessa Fox, Writer

Mrs. Nickles’ first and third block students helped put together welcome home starter kits for two homeless families who have now worked their way up to buying a house. In the kits the students collected food supplies, home goods, cleaning supplies, toiletries, and some home appliances. On Tuesday, November 29, The Religious Coalition for Emergency Human Needs came by THS to pick up the home starter kits. Colleen Parsons, a caseworker with The Religious Coalition, was shocked when she came by to pick up the kits, “It blew my mind I thought we were gonna get a couple of brooms maybe a couple of cans of soup!”. Students filled Parsons’ car with everything in the two kits they put together.

The students in Mrs. Nickles class were humbled by this amazing opportunity. “It’s been a great experience,” said Ayoavi Suppey, “helping people that you don’t know especially for people in your community.” Ayoavi is a student in Mrs. Nickles third block class. She expressed how thankful she was for Mrs. Nickles getting her classes together to help people in need. “I’ve never had a teacher that has inspired me to do this and help out with the community.” Marcos Gonzalez Sambolin, another student in Mrs. Nickles third block class, appreciated how Mrs. Nickles connected the class to the real world. “I wish classes were more connected to the community like this. We had the responsibility and duty to help others and give back, it was really inspiring.” Mrs. Nickles class has shown how important it is to help our community. If you would like to help serve the community stop by Mrs. Nickles’ room (B201) and find out how you too can make a difference.