THS Marching Band takes their first step of the 2024-2025 season

The THS Marching Band color guard and percussion answer marching band calls under Assistant Director Lucas Hogan

This past Tuesday evening, May 28, the THS Marching Band percussion and color guard take their first steps of the new 2024-2025 season. Even though it is May, marching band season is already in full swing, with participants beginning their training on rudiments, technique, placements, and basic marching calls all before they leave for summer training.

Marching band color guard learn spacing and technique under the direction of pit techs Stephanie & Jason Davis

Marching Band Director John Karos has been leading the THS Marching Band for 15 years now, while Assistant Band Director Lucas Hogan has been a part of the group for 10 years. Both directors recognize the newness of the group for the 2024-2025 season, but are excited to see how new leadership and student growth will play out in the upcoming season.

When asked what they were looking forward to most in the 2024-25 season, Hogan mentions the promise for “immense growth” for the band which is made up of 50% newcomers, while Karos admits the difficult task of managing effectively its now 70+ member group.

Marching band pit work on mallet technique on their first rehearsal of the season under the direction of percussion tech Matthew Giller.

The new season also has promise for a different kind of performance — the new show contains modernized music that stands apart from the otherwise classics the THS Marching Band has done in the past, which offers opportunities to connect with the audience as well as new challenges.

Speaking of challenges, when asked what one challenge the THS Marching Band might have to overcome this year, both Hogan and Karos mention “new leadership,” as well as “communicating concepts” to the newer members.

Despite the predicted challenges for this younger band, both Karos and Hogan, along with the seven other marching band techs, are ready to take on the new season with their ongoing promise of victories and high scores.

After being asked what his favorite thing about marching band was, Hogan confidently responds: “I’ve never been part of a losing group all my life,” with the unspoken assumption that this upcoming year would be no different.

Karos echoes these sentiments, reflecting on the THS Marching Band’s high records of scoring between 92-95 out of a possible 100 points in all his years of being director, as well as the group earning top 3 at regionals almost every year.

Marching band drum line learns new drum rudiments under the direction of drumline tech Mr. Griffin Haines.

If these stats don’t speak for themselves, take the heart, grit, and dedication of the students who make up the THS Marching Band as a testament to this fantastic program and their directors. Whether you’ve seen them at football games or watched the reruns of their top-place performance, you can tell there is something special about the THS marching band.

Look out for dates of competitions for the THS Marching Band season this fall, and we hope to see you there. Go Titans!