A Tribute to the Notorious RBG

Cora McDaniel, Journalist

The opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs expressed in this article are those of the author and do not represent the opinions, viewpoints, or beliefs of the Titan Times newspaper, Tuscarora High School or Frederick County Public Schools.

When I heard that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died last Friday, I was devastated. I’d been sitting at the dinner table with my parents and all of a sudden my dad, who had been telling a story, got really quiet. “Ruth Bader Ginsburg just died,” was all he said and yet we all knew what the others at the table were feeling. I had to excuse myself from the dinner table before my emotions got the best of me, but before I even had five minutes to fully process the feeling of loss, I was flooded with a sudden and acute awareness of all we had lost. 

Ginsburg was a force to be reckoned with, advocating for not just women’s rights, but for equity and equality for all people. She dedicated her life to improving the American justice system, learning early on that, “Real change, enduring change, happens one step at a time.” Ginsburg, both before and during her time on the Supreme Court, made tremendous strides in pursuit of social justice. She spearheaded a movement that inspired millions of young people all across the country, eventually earning the nickname “Notorious RBG.” She became a cultural icon and a beacon of hope for young people who felt lost in a world that didn’t hesitate to throw them under the bus the first chance it got. Not only was she admired, she was beloved. 

The passing of Justice Ginsburg is a national tragedy, yet that’s not what people are discussing right now. We should be shedding tears for the American hero that has been taken away from us and as a nation we should be mourning alongside Ginsburg’s family. Instead, the nation is captivated by Republican opportunists trying to fill the late Justice’s seat before the November presidential election. It makes me angry that this great woman, a champion for equality and justice, is being overshadowed by opportunistic Congressmen within our government. This is a time where party and political ideologies should be set aside — this is about honoring the legacy of a woman who dedicated her life to something bigger than herself. She was an inspiration and that deserves to be honored. 

However, as tempting as it may be to focus on the anger and frustration of the moment, it is more important than ever to remember that we as citizens have power in our voices. The legacy of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg does not die with her; it’s up to us to continue it through our actions. There was no greater believer in the power of a vote than Ginsburg; although it may not be within our power as members of the public to affect change through legislation, there is still power in our voices. Figure out what you have to say and how you want to say it — registering to vote is one of the most effective ways to do this. You may not have the power to create legislation, but your Representatives do, so make your voice heard through them. 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was five feet tall and still managed to tower above those who stood to hold her down. She fought for equality and inspired a generation to fight for what was right. The Notorious RBG may have left this Earth, but her legacy still stands tall — it’s our turn to take the torch, to fight for what’s right, and make our voices heard. We cannot give into the feeling of hopelessness and defeat; Ginsburg’s life gave us proof that change isn’t easy, but if you put in the effort you can make long lasting and meaningful change. She never gave up, and neither should we. “If anyone lived the Biggie line, ‘Stay far from timid, only make moves when your heart’s in it, and live the phrase the sky’s the limit,’ it was Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. (2020, September 22). The Inspiring Life Of Ruth Bader Ginsburg [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh1WILt5C-4