911: Tuscarora Remembers: Ms. Honaker reflects on that day

Marelyn Morales Zuniga, Journalist

Editor’s Note

Students currently enrolled at Tuscarora were not alive when the attacks of September 11th took place in 2001, but their families, teachers, and other loved ones have experiences worth remembering. In order to ‘Never Forget’, the Titan Times staff has been working on a series of stories about people who are members (directly or indirectly with the Titan community). Our intention is to give those people a voice so that we can preserve their memories and so that we truly never forget the impact the tragedy of 09-11-2001 had on all Americans.

Ms. Kremnitzer

Co-Adviser for the Titan Times

If you have a story you would like to share, please email [email protected]

Ms. Honaker reflects on that day

The details of the September 11th attacks are known to be some of the most horrific details in American history. Thousands of people were killed and more families were affected by the trauma of seeing the events unfold or picking up the pieces from the event. Tuscarora’s very own, Mrs. Honaker, was in middle school when the events took place. 

At the time Mrs.Honaker was a 6th grade student at Monocacy Middle School. The teachers brought out a T.V. that was on wheels and put on the news. The class watched what happened. 

Her mother ended up picking her up from school. Since she was so young, Honaker did not quite understand what was going on that day. She didn’t really start panicking till she saw her mom panicking. Her most vivid memory was “watching the towers fall.” 

“ I was so young, I didn’t really understand and it didn’t feel real at the time”, Ms. Honaker stated. Despite her lack of understanding, her parents were scared and didn’t know if they should hide somewhere. This was a scary thought for a middle school student. But Honaker also stated that “People respected each other more, showed more understanding, and were much more thankful.”

In the nineteen years since the event, Ms. Honaker says she understood the significance of that day more profoundly and it “hits differently” now that she is a mother and has a family of her own. Every year she is more thankful for her family and kids. Her hope for high school students is that they “understand the severity [of that day] and see how horrific and severe this day was and to not take life for granted”.