Neal Shusterman visits THS!

Briana Queen, Author

On February 21, 2020, Tuscarora High got to meet Neal Shusterman in the auditorium during second block! Neal Shusterman is an American novelist of young-adult fiction. He received the National Book Award for Young People’s Literature for his book Challenger Deep. His book series: Arc of a Scythe has become extremely popular throughout the halls of THS. The first book titled Scythe synopsis reads “A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery: humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now Scythes are the only ones who can end life- and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.” The books are highly recommended for all young adults who enjoy reading.

Shusterman came to visit the school and many students came to meet the author of the popular fiction book. Students were free to come into the auditorium during second block. Many students received a copy of Scythe and some of the copies were even signed by Neal Shusterman. Though the meeting was small with few participants, the students who attended thought of the signing/meeting as a fun and interesting experience.

An interview was given to one student who attended the meeting.

Question: What was it like to meet the author of a book you’ve read?

Student: It was inspiring. He gave me a new mindset in writing and how to create strong development.

Question: Did you enjoy reading the Scythe series? Have you completed the series?

Student: I am enjoying the last book of the series: The Toll.

Question: On a scale of 1-10, how much do you recommend Arc of Scythes to your fellow students?

Student: I one hundred percent recommend this book to other students. It is a great book for students in 6th grade and up.

Many students were inspired by the books and some even wish to pursue writing themselves. The book lovers of THS are very thankful for Shusterman’s visit and we wish for his return in the near future.