ESSR class heads to the ESSL for a field trip…. if it sounds confusing, read on…

Egan Frelich, Writer

On September 27, 2019, Ms. Geerlings’ Earth Systems Science Research (ESSR) class visited the Earth Space Science Lab (ESSL) in order to learn about the methods used for scientific research. The ESSL is an FCPS facility located across the street from Lincoln Elementary School. Most FCPS students have some familiarity with the lab, as they typically visit during both first grade and fifth grade. The ESSL also makes accommodations for students in ESSL classes to visit twice per year.

The ESSL allows students to learn about Earth and space through observation and interaction. There are a number of different animal exhibits such as aquariums with fish as well as reptiles, a very special and very large Iguana and even a working beehive that is built into a glass case so students can see the inner workings of the hive’s activity. To help students learn about space, the lab has a full dome planetarium (one of the largest in Maryland), and a solar filter telescope. On the field trip, Ms. Geerlings’ class studied the different spheres (biosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, etc.) of the earth. The class also participated in various activities related to earth sciences. Student genuinely appreciate the chance to go and interact directly with hands on activities that relate to their academic learning in the classroom. According to Ms. Geerlings “I would say that the NASA field trip is the kids’ favorite, but the ESSL trip is definitely their second most favorite day of ESSR.”

If you are interested in learning more about the ESSR classes, stop by and talk to Ms. Geerlings about it in A-131