Teacher Feature: Ms. Mummert

Teacher Feature: Ms. Mummert

Ms. Beth Mummert is the Transition Education Coordinator here at Tuscarora. For those who don’t know what that means, basically she is in charge of overseeing students who are on work study as well as students who are interns at various local businesses. Ms. Mummert is also in charge of Student Service Learning at Tuscarora High.

Originally from a small town in Pennsylvania called Hanover, Ms. Mummerts recollections of her hometown are centered on her and her husband’s families (he is from the same small town) and “just small town living”. In High School Ms. Mummert was an excellent student who very much applied herself towards her studies. Initially, Ms. Mummert was interested in becoming a journalist due to her love of writing but was discouraged from doing so by her father who ran the local newspaper. Heeding her father’s advice, she turned her attentions to public education and, by the time she was a senior in high school, she had decided to major in English education.

Prior to coming to Tuscarora, Ms. Mummert worked as an English teacher for 19 years at Linganore High. When Tuscarora opened and the opportunity to work in her current capacity arose, Ms. Mummert decided to become a Titan. She is one of our original Titans. When asked to explain what she loves about Tuscarora, Ms. Mummert said hands down it is the kids. She goes on to explain that we have great kids here at THS, we have a diverse, yet interconnected population of hardworking responsible and humble students. When asked what she would most like to change about Tuscarora, she explains that sometimes the ‘public perception’ of our school bothers her. Ms. Mummert explains that she feels like many people  on the ‘outside’ don’t understand just how great this school really is and this saddens her.

In addition to her work as our transition education coordinator, Ms. Mummert also helps to plan for our annual blood drives and our empty bowls banquet. When she is not at work, Ms. Mummert enjoys reading and spending time with her family. Strong family values are a part of Ms. Mummert in part, she believes because of the very strong sense of family and community she grew up with in her hometown. She also enjoys boating and getting to the beach as often as she can.