National Signing Day

National Signing Day

Liam Collins, Writer

Dardlie Lefevre (James Madison University, Track and Field), Stefan Hackshaw (Towson University, Football), Airs Hilliard (Davidson College, Football), Joseph Shell (Brown University, Football), Chandler Stewart (Campbell University, Lacrosse), Erin Lillis (University of Delaware, Swimming), Reese McClure (University of Maryland, Gymnastics), Josie Thomas (Western Michigan, Gymnastics)

February 4th was a big day for many athletes around the country, but Tuscarora was lucky to see eight very special athletes confirm their commitment to play their respective sports at the division one level. National signing say is a day many athletes look forward to from the time they are introduced to their sport. It takes a ¨different kind of athlete to make it to the next level, ¨ said Mr. Putterman in his opening speech before introducing the athletes. He continued to explain the time and effort the kids put in on the field and in the classroom is unbelievable. Tuscarora has athletes competing in five different sports including, track and field, football, lacrosse, swimming, and gymnastics.

Each student was accompanied by their families and coaches as they signed their national letter of intent. One of which was Erin Lillis, who will be continuing her swimming career at the University of Delaware. She explained she is excited to join a new team and compete at the next level. Chandler Stewart who will be playing lacrosse at Campbell University in South Carolina said she was proud of getting to this point in her athletic career and is grateful that she can continue to play the sport that she loves. Joseph Shell will be continuing his football career at Brown University, he said he is excited to play with a new group of players and he is glad he could use his athletic talents to benefit his academics.

When head football coach Vince Ahearn spoke before introducing his three football players. He wanted to emphasize how important academics are when trying to play at the next level. He acknowledged how hard his three players worked in the classroom and that was ultimately what was going to make them successful in life. Other coaches, along with Coach Ahearn, came up and said a few words about each athlete and congratulated them on all the hard work they put in around the clock.

We wish these young athletes continued success as they move on to the next level of competition!