Behind the story of the now famous confrontation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eden Oladimeji, Writer

The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s alone, and do not, in any way, represent the views of the Titan Times, Tuscarora High School, or Frederick County Public Schools.

16-year-old Nick Sandmann is being attacked due to a video that has gone viral. At the march for life event in D.C., a video was taken of Sandmann standing his ground face to face with native american, Nathan Phillips, who was singing chants. The video also shows Nick’s fellow students who were wearing make america great again hats, standing around them making racist gestures and chanting. This was the only video that people saw, yet it was enough to condemn him. Sandmann was called a racist, supremacist and was attacked by multiple celebrities online.

The video no one sees is the video in which the teens are being mocked by Hebrew Israelites. The Israelites were saying things like “The biggest terrorist today is the pale faced man…this is a bunch of future school shooters…a bunch of babies made out of incest.” That is when the teens started singing their school chants in hopes to drown out insults. This is when Phillips came into the picture.

Yet again this seems to be another story of he said and she said. Phillips looks at the situation from a different point of view. When he spoke to The Washington Post he said, “I felt threatened, by the teens.” He also said, “They swarmed around him and the teen in the video wouldn’t let him leave.” Many people are siding with him, but others are siding with Sandmann.

Celebrities like Rosie O’Donnell, Debra Messing, Kathy Griffin and Ed Asner said some very vulgar 

things regarding the issue. A now deleted tweet from Jack Morrissey contained an image and a caption that said,

” He has since apologized for the tweet and said, “I would never sincerely suggest violence against others, especially kids.”

The school was closed  because of bombing and death threats. Many people gathered outside of the school to protest. The boys did return to school on Wednesday January 23, but with much more security. Police vehicles were blocking off entrance to the school parking lot. Where they have been for many days. As for Nathan Phillips he hasn’t stopped expressing his disapproval. On January 22 he rallied protesters outside a church in order to disrupt mass.