The Undefeated Titan Wrestlers

Ethan Samet, Editor

It is about  about half wa  through the winter sports season and our Titan Wrestlers have continued to dominate no matter the opponent. From their first match against North Hagerstown to their most recent against Smithsburg the Titans have, for the second year in a row, shown their dominance on the mat, and in the region. The team’s hard hitters, Alex Westbrook, Andrew Chavarria, Kooper Clark, and Conner Heron have once again proven themselves as fierce opponents against whomever they meet on the mat. Previous members of the team Conner Preston, Damian Qualls, Benjamin Lockett, and Emmanuel Dipita along with newcomers Jhondy Fuller and Sotir Markoff have also come into their stride posing extreme challenges for any opponent. With new Assistant Coach Steven Jennings now aiding the team, the Titans are poised to once again make it to the Regional tournament and possibly go the entire year undefeated.

This past Monday, the 7th, the Titans went up against Urbana and Frederick High at a tri-meet held at Frederick High School’s new facility. Frederick High showed a new face with better technique and skill coming from its wrestlers while Urbana came in having never lost to Tuscarora. Stakes ran high as all three teams came together to grapple each other. Urbana vs. Tuscarora was the first match of the night starting off in uncertainty as early in the match Andrew Chavarria, due to a miscommunication, went out to face off against the wrong opponent forcing younger wrestler Emmanuel Dipita out to face off against one of Urbana’s tougher wrestlers. In a stunning upset Dipita pulled through pinning his opponent and fueled the teams energy to an all-time high. Wrestlers Ahmed Hasson and Matt Hopkins finished out Tuscarora’s wins at the heavy weight classes bringing the match back down to 106. In a team effort and for the first time in not only in head coach Trey Coates’ history but the history of Tuscarora, the Titan Wrestlers beat the Urbana hawks 49-27. The Titans came back not long after the match to again beat the Frederick High in a quick match showing their domination on the mat.

More recently, on Wednesday the 9th the Titan wrestlers went up against the Smithsburg Leopards. While the historically the Leopards have not posed a threat to our Titans this year, due to some bumping in the weight classes a few of our Titans faced difficult opponents. Once again Andrew Chavarria’s performance was worth noting as he beat his opponent while having wrestled up two weight classes. From the start of the junior varsity matches to the last varsity bout the entire match lasted only an hour once again showing the county that this year, just like last, the Tuscarora Titans are not only a wrestling power to be feared but one that may, for only the second time in school’s history and for the first time consecutively, take the regional title again come the end of the 2018-19 season.