THS Volleyball Girls Ready for Playoffs

Devyn Jacobson, Writer

During the 2018 high school fall sports season, volleyball has been racking up victory after victory. So much so that the girls are scheduled to go head to head in their first, and hopefully not last, playoff game against Linganore High on November 5th at six o’clock. With a record of 13-1, the THS volleyball team are expected to continue their winning streak through the entire round of playoffs. Coaches Ricardo Vera and Lee Thompson, along with the team’s captains Devyn Jacobson and Kirsten Snyder, have lead the team to its unity and brought out their competitive spirit. Taking on teams such as North Hagerstown, Westminster, and Atholton High has been a challenge in the past, but our lady Titans are more than prepared to showcase their strength and secret ingredient: resilience.

With practices lasting two hours, three to four days a week, the Titans have been constructing specific plays and drills to further prepare for future victories. The team and its starters have brought skill, power, and intensity to each and every game to guarantee their wins. With their one loss, our players have spoken out saying, “We should’ve won that game, but we took it as a lesson to improve as a team and as individuals”. After their alterations from that loss, the volleyball girls have been unstoppable. From their scrappy back row players to their swift front line, our lady Titans are a force to be reckoned with.

Tuscarora’s volleyball team is currently ranked #1035 in the nation and #9 in the state of Maryland. Competing in the 3A division for the state championship, Tuscarora volleyball is a team you don’t want to miss. Junior, Gianni Blundell, who is the primary setter for the team, stated in an earlier article that they “all have fun on and off the court,” and then revealed that “everyone is adjustable”. With a roster of thirteen players, now fourteen due to Coach Vera pulling up Freshman, Justine Winkler, he has a pile on his plate. How he manages the bunch is by placing everyone in different positions to refine their versatility, “I have a very deep team, someone can get sick, and I don’t have a problem,” he told the Frederick News Post.  

In summary, our lady Titans have not only impressed their own school, but they continue to impress by holding the title for the best record in Tuscarora volleyball history. With only one loss, they are not planning on holding anything back in the next, hopefully, few games leading to states. Through the dreadful heat and continuous sweating, the girls have stayed focused, determined, and not only ready, but ecstatic to compete for the road to states. Watch out Linganore, we’re coming for you.