Mole Day

Lucas Arce, Writer

Mole day is October 23rd and they celebrate it between 6:02 am and 6:02 pm. Mole day is to celebrate Avogadros number, this number is 6.02 x 10^23, which represents the amount of molecules in mole of a certain substance. A mole is defined as the amount of substance containing the same number of chemical units as exactly 12 grams of carbon-12.

As we arrived to Ms. Geerlings classroom we were greeted by decorations and food all related to Mole day. The atmosphere was very happy and joyful and the students were eager to show off their creations, we were introduced to milk chocolate ¨cara-mols¨, ¨mol-asses¨ cookies and molecular skewers. The molecular skewers were by far everyone’s favorite snack; it was made up of marshmallows, semi-sweet chocolate, coconut shavings, shortening, and white chocolate. Ms. Geerlings chemistry class was not done offering what they had to share with us yet! They also had coloring worksheets that were very fun to do with names that would attract most people to the activity including ¨The Incredible Molk¨, ¨Ali-mol-y¨, ¨Mol-aria¨, ¨De-Mole-Ition Derby¨ and last but not least ¨Moletary System¨. But majority of the class all voted that the best activity was applying the temporary Mole day tattoos to their skin. Madi Goodwin was kind enough to let us interview her as she stated ¨ I like to apply the Mole Day washable tattoos on my skin because it shows my appreciation for the ¨holiday¨ and my love for chemistry in Mrs. Geerlings class! ¨

Each and every activity showed a diversity of interests within the class, from fun games, to sweet treats, to temporary tattoos; there was something for everyone on this mole day celebration. But Mole day is not just for the science-types, anybody can celebrate mole day and anybody in Ms. Geerlings’ class gets to enjoy the celebration every fall!. Thanks to Avogadros number we can all celebrate Mole Day as a community on October 23rd so mark calendars for next year and thanks to Ms. Geerlings, we get to enjoy a fun and educational experience each year.