A Step Towards College, The SAT

Ethan Samet, Editor

For many Juniors last week was their first encounter with the Scholastic Aptitude Test, better known as the SAT, and for some this was their first true step towards going to college. Thankfully juniors here at Tuscarora were fortunate enough to be provided with a chance to sit and take the SAT for free. Thanks to our school’s College and Career Readiness specialist Mrs. Welker every junior was signed up and took the test last week on the 7th and is now ready to take the next steps towards college and hopefully this article will help you to figure out what those next steps might be.

For most college is a undertaking of epic proportions. With so many different schools out there and so many different forms to fill out, tests to take, letters and essay to write many people have no idea where to start. Taking the SAT is an important step towards getting into and prepared for college but now it is time for juniors to start taking their next big steps towards their future. As many of you know naviance is the current platform that students are strongly encouraged to use to apply and discover colleges. What many don’t know, is how to best utilize the various tools that are available to them in naviance.

There are five sections of the naviance program that can aid you in finding what college is in your future. In the About Me sections of the program and the profile link you can find useful information such as your current GPA and your class rank. Under the test scores link you can find out your ACT score, your 1600 SAT score, and your 2400 SAT scores. All of this information you can use to narrow down your college search and find what colleges offer what you need and want. To do this you can go to the colleges tab and scroll down to find the college supermatch link. Using this is a great way to find out about new colleges and if the colleges you are currently thinking about match what you want to do. There are also tons of other ways to use your SAT scores on naviance such as creating brag sheets and applications for college as well as qualifying for scholarships and the such. But naviance isn’t the end all be all for getting ready for college. There are of course college visits and AP tests along with tons of other things that you can, should, or need to do when it comes to college. So your best course of action juniors, is to  go talk to your guidance counselor after becoming familiar with naviance to see what you need to be college prepared. Of course if your planning to not go to college and pursue a career elsewhere then none of this matter to you, good luck with your SAT scores Titans!

Link to Naviance: https://connection.naviance.com/family-connection/auth/logout