DC sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

DC sports

Alec Fletcher, writer

Being a DC sports fan isn’t always the easiest. With many downfalls, poor management and many injuries throughout DC sports teams it tends to bring frustration to many fans. The Washington capitals have tendencies of going to the playoffs and losing to the Pittsburg Penguins every year for the past several years. The Washington redskins struggle in the division every year with rival opponents (Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, and the Dallas Cowboys). The Washington Wizards seems to be the hope of DC with many social media trends of #dcrising and much recent success through franchise players John Wall and Bradley Beal. Lastly, the Washington Nationals also raise hope for a possible DC championship with a playoff run last year and many key pieces such as Bryce harper and Ryan Zimmerman.

So some might ask when we will see a DC sports team win a championship. In my opinion a Wizards appearance to the NBA finals and a capitals appearance to the Stanley Cup in the next five years is most likely to happen in my eyes. The Washington Redskins will hopefully see a playoff appearance in the next couple years trying to overcome quarterback struggles and creating a championship team. Lastly, I feel as the Washington Nationals will always be in contention and having a young team will give them many long seasons in the upcoming years.

As a student there’s many ways to get involved as a local sports fan. Most DC sports are replayed or commented through your local sports channel. Getting out to a game can always be fun too through many experiences such as tailgating and just watching that game itself. Myself, I’m a Baltimore sports fan but getting out to different stadiums and catching different events in DC is always at interest.