An Evening of One Acts

Jesse Duensing, Editor

Tuscarora Drama Program presents a night of “One Acts”

On January 9th at 7:00 pm, the Department played out short plots and stories for audience members in the auditorium. All students and staff involved had their hands full with all the work set before them, however, they performed a wonderful who, eliciting laughs and cheers from the onlookers in the seats below. I interviewed some students who participated in these performances. Here’s what they had to say.

Hanna Chaney – Junior

“On that specific night, I was an actress, a stage manager and worked with sound some. I enjoy the one acts we do because they’re fun, but they’re also stressful, which, oddly enough, makes them even more fun. They’re kind of a eustress. In order to get ready, and you’ll be hearing this a lot, you have to memorize your lines and really get into character before you go on stage. In terms of working with sound, I had to adjust volumes, balance the voices, prevent interference and do many other things.”

Kris Cooper – Senior

“I was actually student director that night, which was really fun, but also really stressful. I was in the booth helping make sure everything ran as smoothly as possible and the lights were managed to give the most effect. I actually had to cast crew, audition them and then send out paper copies of the scripts. I also had to block the show at home which was, interesting. All in all, it was a really fun night and I look forward to it, kind of, each year.”

Ashley Penn – Senior

“I was stage manager, as I always am for these productions. A lot of being a stage manager comes into play when you’re dealing with blocking and managing the lights. Blocking is essentially how the actors move on stage and how things are supposed to move within the scene. It’s stressful, truthfully. However, as stressful as it may be, I enjoy it a lot.”

Ethan Downs – Sophomore

“As an actor, I find one acts to be a fun but trying experience. I was in two, actually. I was in This is a Test and Almost Maine. Both of which were super fun to be in. I wasn’t just an actor, though, I ran the spotlight for the introduction and that’s about it. I find it most fun to get really deep into character and become them. Doing so allows me to be anyone anywhere at anytime and I think that’s what I enjoy most about theater in general.”

One acts are an interesting experience, for the actors in particular. Between cramming in a whole story plot into 45 minutes and the stress that comes with all the preparation, it can be rough sometimes. However, they also prove to be immensely fun and enjoyable experiences for the audience members and the performers. For more stories like this, check back each week at Titantime.org.