Winter Sports Mid-Season Update

Winter Sports Mid-Season Update

Ethan Samet, Editor

As we reach the mid-year point in the Winter Sports season it seems time to reflect on how Tuscarora’s various sports teams have done this year. The winter season brings about a chance for a whole new set of Tuscarora athletes to compete with one another in a variety of sports ranging from Basketball, to Swimming, to Bocce. Whether they are sprinting down the track or trying to put their opponent on their back these athletes give it their all to represent Tuscarora High in the absolute best way that they can. So let us examine how far all that hard work this season’s athletes have put in has gone to represent Tuscarora.

To start off let’s look at this year’s Swimming and Wrestling teams. So far this year the both the boys and girls swimming and diving teams have gone to compete in three meets. They where able to come out on top at their first two meets with the girls getting second at their third meet. While the teams have lost many of their leading athlete due to seniors having graduated last year, the juniors and sophomores of the team have risen to take their place as leaders of the team. In contrast however the wrestling team not only lost zero players due to graduation but in fact added almost 15 kids to their team this year. So far their record stands at 4-1 with the year proving so far to be one of their best in recent history. Both the swimming teams and the wrestling team have had a good year so far and will hopefully continue crushing it at their meets as the year progresses.

This year the Boys and Girls Basketball teams, like the swimming teams, are experiencing a bit of a growth year. While their records stand at 6-3 and 5-2 respectively the seniors that made up some of the better players last year have all graduated making this year’s season a bit tougher than normal. Though both teams have proved resilient to these challenges and the boys’ basketball team has even beaten one of their rivals this year. Last year during the semi-finals the team was sadly beaten by Seneca valley but this year they were able to redeem themselves. In this year’s match against the Seneca Valley team the Titans were able to come out ahead by 6 points, showing a lot of potential in this younger batch of players.

While some of our Winter sports teams still have room to grow the year so far has shown that each of these teams holds potential. While they may not be world champions it is clear that each of our athletes gives it their all every time they step out onto the court, the mat, the track, or into the pool.  Tuscarora should be and is proud of it’s winter athletes and all they do to represent our school during the winter sports season. So if you have the time go out and show your support at the next basketball game, swim meat, track competition or wrestling match.