Class Field Trip to D.C.!

Hannah Mueller, Senior Editor

Field trips are always a great way to not only learn, but experience what you’re learning about in person and the Humanities class at Tuscarora takes advantage of this marvelous idea! Mrs. Nickles’ first and third block classes decided to take the opportunity to make their way to D.C. and visit the Library of Congress and the Washington Botanical Garden- albeit, the latter wasn’t exactly planned. They originally meant to visit Hishhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, but they it ended up being too far away for time sake. So, they instead visited this oasis of flora while in the concrete city! Their day began early in the morning as the class had to board the MARC Train at 6:45am before ever making it to the country’s capital. But after an hour long train ride, the students arrived in Washington D.C. and started walking to the Library of Congress.

The building architecturally is already beautiful, but the moment you walk in the library- you’re met with a beyond gorgeous display from the tiles on high ceilings to the grand mosaics on the floor. The interior is simply remarkable. Although, the students didn’t come to merely gape at the outstanding structure and design of the building, rather, they came to learn about the Library of Congress itself and how it self-manages. They learned about how the older books are kept, how the building was made, and even as to why the building was made to begin with.

Now, while the students initially anticipated visiting the Hishhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, but because it would have been too far to walk to, their agenda changed and they went to the Washington Botanical Garden instead. Here, Mrs. Nickles’ Humanities class explored the grounds and learned about all the different types of flowers and fruits that are currently planted within the gardens. In addition, they were even able to witness the corpse flower in bloom! This flower, while it used to be rare, takes a very long time to bloom- taking up to ten years sometimes to simply gain the energy needed to bloom and once it does, it releases a horrendous odor that gives this flower its name. So, the class was very lucky to see this flower during its blooming season.

All in all, this field trip was a marvelous experience for the Humanities class. They were able to learn all while having a wonderful time down in D.C. together. From going to the Library of Congress and to the Botanical Garden, the class was able to see what they were learning in person, even if they weren’t able to go to the Hishhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden. They rode the MARC train back home and I’m sure this was a field trip that Mrs. Nickles and her students will never forget!