Child Development

Carmell Mark, Writer

In Mrs. Woodward’s Child Development classes, her students aren’t actually students… They’re teachers! Child Development 1, 2, and 3, is basically learning how to be a preschool teacher, and once the prep is done, everyone gets to teach the 3, 4 and 5 year old’s!

This year in Child Development 1, my peers are coming up with new lesson plans to do with the preschoolers. The 3, 4, and 5 year old’s usually come with very smart brains. So when we teach them they know some stuff, and sometimes they don’t. Preschool isn’t daycare, the kids don’t sit around and color pictures or have free-time all day, they get taught subjects like math, science, PE, art, Social Studies (etc..) like us THS students.

On October 27, 2017…My group was teaching today. All of the lessons were fantastic, fun and educational. I taught science today and for my lesson it was a fun Halloween candy Sink or Float. I basically explained to the kids the difference between sinking and floating. I asked them to predict whether a candy would sink or float. They made some pretty good guesses. I had the teachers in my group help out with my lesson and drop one candy at a time. The kind of candy that I had for them was a KitKat, sour red drops, Jolly Ranchers, and some kind of orange candy. After they made their predictions I had the teachers pick students to drop the candy in the water and they circled the real answer. After all the candy was in the water, and their answers were answered, I had the students compare their answers and asked them to make a guess about why certain candies floated instead of sinking. One of the students named Adriano Ludington shouted “BECAUSE ITS HEAVIER.” His response, while not perfect, was still pretty good for a little guy. Child development is a good educational class about children. Anyone can take the class, give it a try, you’ll  like it !