Preschoolers First Day!

Hannah Mueller, Editor

On October 2nd, the preschoolers finally arrived to Tuscarora! After having all of September to prepare for their arrival, Mrs. Woodward’s child development classes welcomed the new preschoolers to their first day of school. The twelve students are primarily three; however, there are a few students who are returning that are between four and five years of age. Each one might not be fully ready for school just yet, but they’re excited for this new experience!

The children will be learning different themes throughout the weeks and months, with each week having a new letter and theme, and every month having a few overarching themes as well. For example, this week’s lessons are centered around the letter ‘A’, numbers 0-3, and, “I’m Special.” But for the month of October as a whole, lessons will be centered around the colors orange and black and “Welcome Back to School.” The four teaching groups in each block, one for Child Development I and one for Child Development 3, will have its members cycling through different parts of the child’s routine; whether it’s starting morning circle, coordinating centers, or teaching a lesson about math. As the teachers for each routine change, so will the lessons and themes.

For the first day, the children seemed to already enjoy the activities and lessons, even if they had a bit of a rough start when the parents left them for the first time. But, nonetheless, they were involved and happily complying with each of the lessons! They enjoyed singing songs in morning circle, learning about the letter ‘A’, and running about during P.E. The day was an overall success and hopefully the children will be eager to return to another day of fun and learning.

We wish the new preschoolers luck and hope that they’ll love coming to school each morning!