Voices of Tuscarora: To Stand or not To Stand?

Jesse Duensing, Journalist

There are a lot of divisive issues in America today. We, at the Titan Times, have decided to explore differing sides of relevant and sometimes controversial topics by interviewing the students here at THS. Ultimately, we hope that in showing both sides of these issues we can all find that, while we may not agree, we all have our reasons for thinking and believing the way we do. 

This week’s topic: Standing for the National Anthem

Here’s what the Titans have to say on the subject:

Katie Fetting – Junior: “I will always personally stand for the National Anthem because of what my personal beliefs are. However, I feel that everyone, because we live in America, is free to either stand or kneel as they please. No law is forcing them to stand.”

Javier Flores – Senior: “I feel each person who does kneel should have a reason to do so, whether it be religious or something else. I feel that, without a reason, everyone should have to stand for the National Anthem.”

Ambar Gaitan  – Senior: “I feel that role models, such as the football players who didn’t stand, should have to stand because their reach of influence is so large and reaches so many young people. Outside of large events, though, say in school, each person should be able to do as they please.”

Andrew Johnson – Senior: “I feel that people should stand for the country’s history and what we have done in the past. People have fallen for that flag and they should stand for that. It is disrespectful for people to not stand.”

Andrew Sullivan – Senior: “Personally, I take it as an insult when people don’t stand. I find it to be very disrespectful if people kneel during the National Anthem.”

Ethan Miletich – Senior: “I understand people are upset over what has happened, but it’s still disrespectful to not stand during the National Anthem. These people have every right to protest and speak their minds, and they are expressing that right. On top of that, it’s peaceful.”

These are just a few voices of the Titan nation. What about you? How do you feel about the controversy? Take our poll below:

Should NFL players be forced to stand for the singing of the National Anthem

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...