Teachers not doing their homework…

Kayla Green, Writer

Now that Midterm has passed and grades are due, students are scrambling to make sure that they have a decent grade in their classes. This is pretty common and it’s probably something that goes on all across the country. However, there’s one thing that we students can’t control when it comes to our grades. Teachers, we’re looking at you! Even though it is a school policy that teachers update grades every week, some teachers fall way short of this goal.

This is one of the most frustrating things for students. We are constantly held to high standards by our teachers, we are expected to do homework, to submit assignments when they’re due and to study for our exams. We can’t count the number of times we’ve been lectured by our teachers about all of the above. However, for some teachers, they don’t practice what they preach. We understand that life gets busy but, as we’ve heard so many times before, just because you’re busy doesn’t mean you get special treatment. If the school policy is that grades get updated every week, then we feel like teachers should follow the policy.

Of the many students we spoke to about things like this, teachers not entering grades was the most frequent complaint. After all, how are we supposed to keep track of our progress if we have no idea what our grade is? But, worse than the teachers who rarely update student grades are the ones who rush to update grades just in the nick of time for interim grades or even worse for report cards. These are the teachers who have no problem issuing a low grade for a test or a writing assignment that is four or five weeks old even if it seriously compromises a students overall academic record.

As students we would like to ask our teachers to please try to stay on top of grades because it really helps students and, after all it’s your job!

If you are a teacher who updates grades regularly, please disregard this article and we thank you!

As always, feel free to leaves us a response in the comments section below.