Goodbye America , Hello Spain

In three short weeks, our senior Titans will take their last steps down these halls and say goodbye to high school. They will be greeting a new chapter in their life – college. While many of our fellow Titans have decided to attend school in the states, Ceili Galante will be packing her bags and be on her way to Spain!

Ever since Ceili was young, everyone knew she would go far. Her parents had to watch the door when she was two because she would take any opportunity to run out the door. She first began to think about Berklee as a possible choice for college when her uncle Mark Scatz told her about his experiences when he attended there for bass. One year there is all it took for him to get the connections he needed to go on tour with Nickel Creek and Tony Rice. Ceili saw how the intimate environment not only helped you get into the business but built up artists as individuals.

In March, Ceili received her acceptance letter from Berklee College of Music located in Boston Massachusetts. This prestigious school admits only 260 freshmen a year and has an acceptance rate of  34%.  To be accepted you must go through a rigorous interview and audition process. Ceili applied first for the main campus in Boston but then applied for one of 13 satellite campuses, one of which is in Valencia , Spain to study abroad. She is one of the few freshmen given this opportunity since study abroad programs are often strictly for graduate students at Berklee. She decided to go overseas because “what better way to learn about a culture than to be immersed into it. Even though she is still learning Spanish she believes “music is a language and everyone everywhere can relate to it”. She’s excited to learn the culture and see all it has to offer.

Ceili aspires to major in music performance with a jazz concentration and earn a doctorate in music education. Her dream job is to not be a musician but a music teacher in innercity schools. She was inspired by Karo’s to take a more musical approach to college but Mr.Moore helped her fully realize her dream of being a teacher. She’s been involved in Tuscarora’s Titan show choir since her freshmen year and is the current student leader. She recognizes that here at Tuscarora, we are privileged to have such a diverse musical department. She sees how the arts programs helps students in less than ideal living situations or any situations unite and find amazing opportunities. Ceili herself has found the musical programs here at Tuscarora to help expresses herself and shes says it’s like a home away from home in the D-Wing.

Ceili is very fortunate to have such an amazing opportunity but it is very costly. If you would like to donate to help her get the necessary items like a student visa and a plane ticket for her oversea studies, go to https://www.gofundme.com/berklee-in-spain ! Any amount is appreciated.

If you’d like to hear a small sample of Ceili’s talent, click the link below:

Caitlin Pickens